I have no way of knowing where you are at present on the time and age continuum, but God-willing, you will sooner or later make it to your 80th year. I could have chosen 70 or even 90, but 80 plus seems like a good target decade to focus on. Have you thought at all about how you will be eating and how you will be exercising at this stage? You know very few people even consider these two questions – yet they should. If you know what I know, and if you care about your body and quality-of-life, like I do, you will be doing certain things, health-wise, in a certain way every day.
First of All Start Your Health and Exercise Routine Now!
I was very lucky in that I started my regimen of healthy eating and working out with weights at the tender age of 57. (I am still only a youthful 62 at present.) I know of several physical fitness super stars who started weight training at 70 and some beyond that. Bottom line – wherever you are, it’s never too late to start. In short, start now.
How You Would Be Eating At 80 plus
1. You Would Be Eating Low Fat, High Fiber Foods – You would be eating 5 small, healthy meals of about 500 to 600 calories every couple of hours. You would broil your chicken or fish, and you would drastically cut down your consumption of red meats.
2. You Would Drink Half of Your Body Weight in Water Per Day – As we age, our body tends to hold less and less water, therefore you would need to conscientiously hydrate your body to maintain high levels of energy.
3. The Foods That You Would Eat Would Include “Super-Fruit”:
• Acai Berries
4. The “Super-Beverages” That You Would Drink Would Include:
• Green Tea
• Ginseng Tea
• Probiotic “Green” Drinks
5. The Supplements That You Would Take Would Include:
• A Mega-Vitamin Pack (with meals)
• A Mega-Mineral Pack (with meals)
• Flaxseed Oil or Omega Fish Oil
• Saw Palmetto Capsules (for prostate health if happen to be a man)
How You Would Be Exercising At 80 plus
1. You Would Take 15 Minutes to Stretch Before Any Strenuous Exercise – Stretching before strenuous exercise is what everyone, young and older should practice. The need to warm up the muscles and joints by stretching becomes even more imperative after age 40.
2. You Would Be Exercising With Barbells and Dumbbells Four Times A Week – The core of your exercise routine would consist of progressive weight resistance exercises. You would continue to strengthen your muscles, bones and joints. You would use comfortable poundage, but you would not be worried about how heavy you used to lift.
3. You Would Do Aerobic Activity Such As Jogging or Cycling – On the days that you are not lifting weights, you would practice cardiovascular exercises for at least 20 or 30 minutes per day to keep your heart and circulatory system strong.
How Much Sleep Would You Get At 80 plus
You Would Get Eight Good Hours of Sleep Each Night – Rest and recuperation is essential at this stage of the game. You would need to sleep well to wake up refreshed.
How Often Would You Visit Your Doctor At 80 plus
You Would See Your Doctor for Regular Physical Check Ups Every 6 Months – Unless you have a particular medical condition that requires more frequent visits, you should see your physician for a physical check up at least twice a year.
What Would Your Life Philosophy Be At 80 plus
You Would Take Better Care of Your Soul – What I am talking about here is the practice of being more grateful – more grateful for life, more grateful for having made it this far, and grateful for every new day of life. At this stage – as now – every day must count, and every day must be lived to the fullest. One day, we’re all going to run out of days – that’s for sure. It could be today – it could be tomorrow. Why chance it – live and love this day to its fullest. Now, until that day does comes, if you’ve played your cards right, you will have lived strong, erect, handsome, healthy and happy. And that last grateful expiration of your breath will be given – with a smile – of a life well lived.
Yours in health,
“The 12-Week Fitness Guru”